The main objective of the degree in Video Games and Multimedia Applications at Universidade Lusófona is to offer theoretical and practical, specialized, and professional training, of a technological and artistic nature, video games, digital animation, multimedia communication programming, and interactive arts. This degree covers a dynamic professional area, constantly changing and growing both in Portugal and abroad.
The mission of this course, which harmoniously combines theory and practice, promotes a logic of "learning by doing" and, in this sense, the focus of the assessment is on the development of exercises and projects by the students. We also seek a close connection and adequacy of the subjects taught to the job market and the reality and needs of the industry. In the last semester of this Study Cycle, students will have the opportunity to undertake an internship in companies with projects in the areas covered, providing not only professional experience but also possible opportunities to enter the labor market.
The Study Plan of the Video Games and Multimedia Applications course was awarded the "Fazer+ Best Innovative Pedagogical Practice Award", reflecting the merit of the practices implemented above all in project-based teaching (Project Based Learning), with a great interconnection between the Curricular Units.
Accredited - A3ES Decision
Date of the Board Decision
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Bachelor |6 Semesters |180 ECTS
This study cycle accepts candidates who submit their application via the institutional entrance competition and have obtained a positive score in one of the following national entrance exams:
10 Descriptive geometry;
Candidates may also apply via the regimes of institution/programme transfer or via Special Application, in accordance with the legal regulations in force (holders of higher education degree, holders of a Technological Specialization Course, holders of Professional Higher Technician Course or Over 23 years of Age).
Candidates who meet the requirements defined in the International Student Statute can also apply.
Have completed a total of 180 ECTS
- Promote an interdisciplinary broadband-based training that integrates practical and theoretical knowledge applied in the scientific areas of this degree with a focus on the creation of video games and multimedia applications.
- Adapt the training profile and the content of the curricular units to the characteristics and effective needs of the national and European labor market in this sector.
- Train creators and technicians with skills to conceptualize and develop their own projects in the field of video game development and multimedia applications, feasible and adjusted to their capabilities and market needs.
- Foster the ability to integrate into other projects and extended teams in a characteristically multidisciplinary area.
- Understand the history, evolution and potential of video games and multimedia applications as artistic, playful and integrated artifacts in the life of the player / user.
- Master the theoretical and practical aspects in the process of producing video games and multimedia applications.
- Understand and apply game design theories, game mechanics, systems, interfaces, interactivity and narrativity.
Who should apply
All candidates who dream of a professional activity linked to the creative industries of video games and multimedia applications and who are available for hard work with great passion.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
- Develop game design documents and flowcharts for multimedia applications.
- Develop mockups and prototypes of video games and multimedia applications.
- Encourage the necessary teamwork in the pre-production and production processes of video games and multimedia applications.
- Design and produce games comprising the entire production process as a form of autonomous creation or convenient division of tasks into teams.
- Illustration, animation and interactivity in 2D and 3D graphics environments.
- Programming for different devices.
- Critical and analytical thinking regarding interactive artifacts.
- Project management and design.
- Techniques for promoting and distributing video games and multimedia applications such as utility and entertainment products.
- Integration in companies and production studios in the field of creative industries.
- Creation and production of multimedia projects with a special focus on entertainment.
- Applications that take advantage of play systems: interactive shop windows, reactive mats, tactile projects for mobile devices (ipads, mobile phones, among others);
- Games applied to advertising and marketing projects (advergames and alternate reality games).
- Serious games (play systems applied to education and health);
- Games and society: creation of urban and inclusive projects within the scope of festivals for municipalities, museums and other cultural, institutional and commercial events.
- Design and management of multimedia projects involving vast production teams (designers, artists, programmers, script writers, producers, etc.) and various technologies (computer networks, mobile phones, video, augmented reality, printing of graphic elements on paper, among others possibilities). 2d and 3d modeling.
- Design of applications, interfaces and information systems for multimedia platforms (web, offline, mobile, blogs, etc.)
In addition to the specialized teaching staff, not only in the academic component, but also in the practice of the syllabus, teachers / specialists / professionals are also invited to promote masterclasses or workshops related to the creative video game industry and the creation of multimedia applications. Whether it's Game Dev Meets, Game Talks, Pitching Sessions or specific conferences, the presence of guest lecturers and the connection of the university and its students with the outside world is always valued.
Áudio-visuais e produção dos media | Ciências informáticas