Level of Qualification|Semesters|ECTS
Bachelor | Semestral | 4
Year | Type of course unit | Language
2 |Mandatory |Português
Total of Working Hours | Duration of Contact (hours)
110 | 45
Recommended complementary curricular units
Mode of study
1. Metals 2. Aggregates for concrete 3. Binders for concrete and mortar 4. Mortars 5. Concrete 6. Ceramic materials 7. Natural stones 8. Wood
This course is part of a set of disciplines that constitute the basic subjects of Civil Engineering. In this way, it is intended to transmit a set of technical-scientific knowledge in the area of building materials and their application, in particular as regards concrete, mortars, metal materials, natural stones, woods and ceramic materials. It is intended that students acquire knowledge about the properties, manufacturing processes, application, behavior in use and pathologies of current building materials. Students are also expected to develop critical analytical skills in respect of different building materials.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
The student is expected to acquire knowledge about the manufacturing, properties, application, behavior in use and pathologies of different building materials. At the same time, the student should also develop skills and critical capacity to help make choices in this area.
Teaching methodologies and assessment
During the theoretical sessions, the contents are presented and supported in their application to concrete examples. Sessions will be essentially expositive, interrogative and active, in order to encourage student participation. In the practical sessions, and based on the knowledge learned in the theoretical sessions, students will have the opportunity to solve some practical exercises / problems. EVALUATION: Semester, continuous incidence or final exam, according to the Evaluation and Knowledge Regulation of the ULP. Continuous assessment consists of two tests (with weights of 35% and 45% respectively) and a practical assignment (20%). The final exam evaluation is based on a written test (100%).
- J. S. Coutinho Agregados para argamassas e betões. FEUP, 1999.
- A. S. Coutinho Fabrico e Propriedades do Betão. Lisboa, LNEC, 2006.
- A. Remy, M. Gay e R. Gouthier ¿ Materiais. Hemus, 2002.
- L. A. Falcão Bauer ¿ Materiais de Construção. Rio de Janeiro, LTC, 2000.
- A. M. Neville Properties of Concrete. Fifth Edition, 2018.
- J. Lourenço, E. Júlio e P. Maranha - Betões de agregados leves de argila expandida, APEB.
- Associação Portuguesa da Indústria Cerâmica - Manual de Aplicação das Telhas Cerâmicas. 1998.
- Associação Portuguesa da Indústria Cerâmica - Manual de Alvenaria de Tijolo. 2000.
- D. Lucas Introdução à cerâmica.
- J. S. Coutinho - Madeiras. FEUP, 1999.
- M. Lurdes Lopes (2012) Polímeros Constituintes, Estruturas, Funções e Propriedades.
- Especificações e Documentos de Homologação do LNEC.
- Normas em vigor.
- Textos de apoio elaborados por J. S. Coutinho (FEUP) e M. L. Garcia (ISEP).
- Documentos de apoio disponibilizados ao longo do semestre.