Contacto WhatsApp 961135355

Universidade Lusófona do Porto

Architecture

Presentation

The contents of the course aim to introduce notions about the knowledge of the evolution of construction, of building systems, over time, of its cultural, architectural and urban importance, in the historical perception of its meaning and temporal framework. The fields of action focus on the recognition of shapes, and spaces, through the use of different materials, and construction techniques, construction systems, using the analysis of design, and the project as a synthesis of this knowledge. The relevance of the UC in the study cycle is seen in the necessary use of knowledge about different construction techniques, their historical, cultural and heritage significance, in the elaboration of the Engineering project, in its different branches, in conjunction with the elaboration of the project of Architecture.

Programme

Civil Engineering

Level of Qualification|Semesters|ECTS

| Semestral | 4

Year | Type of course unit | Language

2 |Mandatory |Português

Code

ULP730-7675

Recommended complementary curricular units

Desenho Técnico e Desenho de Construção.

Professional Internship

Não

Syllabus

Materials and building systems; its perception along the main historical epochs.

Critical, comparative analysis for each of these significant moments in the evolution of forms and constructive systems.

Classical Period - The Greco-Roman Architecture;
Middle Ages - Gothic Architecture;
The Renaissance Architecture;
The Baroque Architecture - study visit to buildings in the city of Porto;
Art Nouveau Architecture - Iron Architecture, industrialization in construction;
The Architecture of Modernism - prefabrication
For each of the historical periods, a form will be produced, bringing together the analysis of materials, construction systems, and form. From these one extracts its historical meaning, the "style".

Objectives

Understand the evolution of construction, construction techniques, the different materials used in construction, in the relationship between form and technique. It is intended to establish the relationship between architecture and engineering, the multidisciplinary nature of the design exercise in the various areas of knowledge in which it is developed.

The Student must know how to distinguish the different historical periods, their historical meaning, the construction techniques inherent to these periods, knowing how to reflect on the introduction of new technologies, with the rehabilitation and/or maintenance of these buildings, without devaluing modern construction technologies, mainly related to the functional housing programme.

Teaching methodologies and assessment

The methodology is based on the transmission of contents through theoretical sessions, with the presentation of slides with images that allow interpreting the characteristics of the buildings; in the theoretical-practical sessions, the research carried out by the students will be discussed. The assessment is based on the completion of a test at the end of the semester, for which 40% of the assessment is considered, weighted with the assessment of individual practical works, with the remaining 60%, for which the presentation, or discussion, in the classroom.

References

Ching, F. (2004), Arquitetura: Forma, Espacio y Orden (4ª ed.). Barcelona, Editorial Gustavo Gili.

Unwin, Simon (2003), Análisis de la Arquitectura, Barcelona, Gustavo Gili.

Fernandes, J. M. (2000), Arquitetura Portuguesa uma síntese. Lisboa, Imprensa Nacional Casa da Moeda.

Farelly, L. (2007), The Fundamentals of architecture. Lausanne, Ava Academia.

 

Office Hours

Nome do docente  

Horário de atendimento

Sala

António José S. Afonso de Deus

22h-23h