This master program - Media and Information Literacy and Digital Citizenship-MILCitizen - focuses on particularly essential issues of today's mediated society, such as digital literacy, critical literacies, cross-media and as well as civic literacies. Based on a Humanist vision of the field and following the guidelines of UNESCO and the Council of Europe (COE), we use the UNESCO designation of MIL-Media and Information Literacy. The MIL concept is developed to bring together the dimensions of information, media and ICT or digital literacy (Frau-Meigs, O'Neill, Soriani & Tomé, 2017).
Main area: Communication Sciences (321)
Second area: Education Sciences (142)
Accredited - A3ES Decision
Date of the Board Decision
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Master Degree |2 Semesters |120 ECTS
The following may apply for the Master's Degree:
a) People who hold a B.A. or equivalent degree;
b) People who hold a foreign academic degree awarded after a 1st study cycle organized according to the Bologna Process by a member state of that process;
c) People who hold a foreign academic degree acknowledged as a degree satisfying the objectives of the graduate degree by the due body;
d) People who have a school, scientific or professional curriculum acknowledged by the due body of ULP certifying the capacity to obtain this study cycle.
Have completed a total of 120 ECTS
MILCitizen aims to respond to a need for lifelong learning in the MIL area, a need identified by various national public identities and international identities. It is also intended to provide students with a qualified professional practice specialized in communication focused on (critical) media education.
Who should apply
The 15 vacancies of the Master's degree in Media and Information Literacy and Digital Citizenship - MILCitizen are intended, in particular, for graduates of communication sciences and educational sciences, and may be of scientific and professional utility to Journalists and other communicators; Media producers; Marketing professionals; Teachers and other educators; Professionals working with children and young people (in the public and private sector); Educational and cultural mediators; Professionals of Non-Governmental Organizations; Political and cultural policymakers; Researchers; Others interested in the theme.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
There is an intention to provide students with solid theoretical and practical knowledge and skills to ensure four points:
1) Guide teaching and learning practices in mediated environments,
2) Facilitate advanced research processes in the field of critical media education and disinformation,
3) Provide the development of projects in the field of public policies and innovation,
4) Raise awareness and empower digital citizenship.
These competencies allow not only the application of MIL projects in civil society, in several generations, but also to do advanced research and contribute to a central area of creation, monitoring and evaluation of public policies on the theme.
In addition to these four key, broad areas, other specific competencies are:
- Identify concepts and trends that contribute to the evolution of research in the context of MIL;
- Know the pedagogical models available for the various levels of education;
- Critically analyse new models of pedagogy and virtual environments;
- Understand the importance of digital media in the exercise of citizenship;
- Understand digital citizenship and its relationship with MIL;
- Know the main actors, policies and models of development of digital citizenship;
- Understand the paradigms and theories that best fit the teaching and learning of digital citizenship;
- Be able to design strategies and programs that contribute to the development of digital citizenship skills;
- Have the ability to design research projects that contribute to the development of MIL and digital citizenship;
- Critically question the relationship between citizens and the media in different life contexts;
- Critically analyse the impact of the media on the promotion of human rights and the quality of democracy;
- Identify the contributions of current debates in the area to the evolution of critical media literacy;
- Identify the roles of actors in the acquisition of digital skills in the context of MIL;
- Critically analyse the methods of measuring digital skills levels;
- Understand the concept of public policies, their instruments and implementation strategies, within the scope of MIL;
- Critically analyse regulatory models in the context of MIL;
- Organise research projects in MIL public policies;
- Identify and use the creativity of the media;
- Use social media, storytelling techniques and other tools to communicate and engage the public.
PhD Communication and Activisms
PhD Media arts
Communication Sciences (areas such as journalism, communication, marketing), Education Sciences (teachers and educators) and Citizenship (professionals in the area of political communication, third sector, as NGOs, among others).
Research centres within the scientific areas of MILCitizen:
- CICANT - Center for Research in Applied Communication, Culture and New Technologies, with the following research areas: Media technologies and literacies, Society, media and culture and Media, creative arts and industries. Link: https://cicant.ulusofona.pt/team/
- CeiED - Center for Interdisciplinary Studies in Education and Development, which in the context of Public Education Policies includes the following lines of research: Curriculum, educational resources and global citizenship, Inclusion, learning and socio-educational mediation, Training of educators and teachers. Link: http://www.ceied.ulusofona.pt/en/ceied/
In the 2nd semester, the student must choose one of the following optional UC:
- Policy and project management in Media and Information Literacy
- Media creativity and learning with Media and Information Literacy
- Agrupamento de Escolas Abel Salazar
- Agrupamento de Escolas Alexandre Herculano
- Alto Comissariado para as Migrações
- European Literacy Network
- Plano Nacional de Leitura
- Rede de Bibliotecas Escolares
- Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Porto
- Agrupamento de Escola Alexandre Herculano (Porto)
- Agrupamento de Escolas Abel Salazar (Matosinhos)
- Público na Escola
Jornalismo e reportagem | Ciências da educação | Ciência política e cidadania