The Master in Communication, Networks and Technologies is an innovative course in the context of digital culture, online communication and virtual platforms.
It offers advanced training in different areas of specialization, such as the networked arts, digital culture, audiovisual and multimedia communication for the web, the design and production of online projects, online entrepreneurship or cyberjournalism. The competition can be concluded with a dissertation, project work or internship.
Commitment to the development of theoretical and practical skills in an area of studies that enhances the experience acquired in the Degrees in the areas of communication or audiovisual, enabling the pursuit of the aspirations of students both in the professional area and in the area of academic research leading to the doctoral cycle .
Accredited - A3ES Decision
Date of the Board Decision
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Master Degree |4 Semesters |120 ECTS
Have completed a total of 120 ECTS
Offer training at the 2nd cycle level to graduates in the various areas of communication who wish to specialize in an academic nature in this innovative field in the Portuguese educational landscape, using research activity and deepening scientific and professional skills;
To train researchers and professionals in the field of media and network studies in their relationship with technology and communication practices, through a model of transdisciplinary knowledge;
Perspective on network technologies, from the perspective of the professional and the social scientist, as new media and new sociological phenomena;
Propose forms of online multimedia creation and participation, reconciling a theoretical-historical aspect with a practical-laboratory front, namely in the specific areas of web content production and webjournalism;
Promote entrepreneurial responses to the demands of the network society and in accordance with the socio-economic and political-cultural context.
Who should apply
The 10 vacancies of the Master's in Communication, Networks and Technologies are intended, in particular, for graduates in Communication Sciences and in the audiovisual areas, and may be of scientific and professional use for: Journalists and other communicators; Producers of media content; Marketing professionals; Professionals from Non-Governmental Organizations; Political and cultural decision makers; investigators; Others interested in the subject.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
- Develop a theoretical and practical framework capable of exploring the properties of audiovisual, performative, multimedia and interactive environments of social networks and ubiquitous devices, according to the socio-economic and political-cultural surroundings;
- Understand the complex relationships between communication and the virtual experience and identify the fundamental role of technologies linked to networks in contemporary experience;
- Acquire theoretical and technical tools in the multifaceted field of online digital platforms;
- Mobilize network technologies as mediations with technical-professional potential, phenomena with social significance and applications with different uses;
- Carry out and direct projects on web platforms, renewing the aesthetic, discursive and participatory standards of online multimedia creation;
- Systematize knowledge in an innovative area of strong academic expression today
Equipments and venues
The Universidade Lusófona do Porto has the necessary equipment for the convenient teaching of the syllabus of the Study Cycle, as well as a studio, photography laboratories, video editing and audio recording and editing, as well as an audiovisual warehouse. All spaces and equipment can be requested and used by Master's students.
The University provides a WiFi network infrastructure (eduroam) covering all its facilities, licensed software (DMDX; E-prime; IBM SPSS AMOS; Mendeley; NVivo; SuperLab; SurveyMonkey; SPSS), Accessible database: B-On and digital services such as Moodle, Academic Portal, Lusófona Mobile, VPN and the Lusófona Teaching App.
The facilities are prepared to accommodate students with some type of reduced mobility, such as access ramps and an elevator.
The study cycle ensures adequate preparation for students interested in continuing their academic training through postgraduate studies such as the PhD in Communication and Activism, offered by the ULP.
The Master's in Communication, Networks and Technologies aims to ensure advanced training that complements professional profiles that acquire knowledge and skills that allow them to enter the job market or achieve more job opportunities.
Type of companies and institutions that may employ our students: Web content providers; Media companies; Newspaper companies; Software companies releasing web trackers and browsers; NGOs; Public services (such as municipalities, government entities and organizations); Media-related companies; Political organizations; Compulsory education institutions; universities; Social media newsrooms; Schools; Higher education institutions.
ULP professors integrate research centers in the scientific areas of the study cycle:
- CICANT - Research Center in Applied Communication, Culture and New Technologies, with the following research areas: Media, Society and Literacies (MSL) and Media Art, Creative Industries and Technologies (MACIT). (https://cicant.ulusofona.pt ) or HEI-LAB - Digital Human-Environment Interaction Labs (https://hei-lab.ulusofona.pt/)
Students can benefit from the existing laboratories in these research centers and still be integrated into the projects that the teachers develop.
Informação e jornalismo | Áudio-visuais e produção dos media | Marketing e publicidade